Serves: a lot. I would recommend halving the recipe for a family of 2-3.
- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 small baking potato (6 ounces), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk or yogurt
- Salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Coarsely chop the carrots, leek, potato, celery ribs, and onion using a Pampered Chef chopper (or the cheap imitation...or *shudder* with a knife)
2. Add the chicken stock, vegetables, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper to a stock pot.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Allow the stock to cool, then ONCE THE SOUP HAS SUFFICIENTLY COOLED purée it in small batches using a blender or food processor (the Magic Bullet works great for this!).
5. Return the puréed soup to the stockpot, then add the buttermilk or yogurt. Heat slowly and carefully to avoid boiling.
6. Season with salt and pepper, then top with the parsley. Enjoy!
I must stress that you allow the soup to cool before puréeing it. I had a dangerous accident where the blender exploded because of the pressure created by the heat. It doesn't have to be cold; just less than boiling.
Ooh baby - this sounds like a great fall & winter soup! And boy do Scott and I like our soups! Can't wait to try it.
ReplyDeleteFor the texture, I would suggest less liquid or a coarser chop. Like 4 cups of broth instead. And a different speed or bladed instrument. Another thing that might help is to cook the veggies so they're a bit tender crisp instead of totally cooked. That might leave slightly bigger bits to get the right texture.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar recipe from family that is really delicious. Mine calls for some peanut butter and orange juice though. =) And sunflower seeds sprinkled in your bowl. Too bad Josh doesn't like it.
Kim - you can have me over for that soup anytime! (and you can come over when I make it because I'm about 99% sure that Scott won't like it either)
ReplyDelete