Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad

Photo from TobiFairley.com (not the same recipe)
I found this elegant salad recipe online somewhere last fall. It. is. amazing. Since I'm usually making salads for just two people, I have the dressing made up ahead of time in the refrigerator, and I just make individual salads. I skip the romaine and only use baby spinach (since we always have that on hand, thanks to Costco!). I fill up two bowls with spinach, sprinkle some celery, chives, oranges, and sugared almonds on top, and voila! Toss with dressing and you're done.

Dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (I use 2 tsp dried)
3/4 tsp salt (I use kosher)


Salad
3/4 cup slivered almonds
4 1/2 tsp sugar
7 cups romaine lettuce
7 cups spinach
1 1/2 cup sliced celery
3 cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 1/2 cup green onion (I use a few teaspoons of chives)


  1. Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a glass jar and shaking violently.
  2. Cook the almonds and the sugar in a small skillet over medium-high heat until the sugar melts and coats the almonds; spread them out on aluminum foil to cool.
  3. Toss together all of the salad ingredients.
  4. Toss in the dressing.
  5. Take in all of the compliments you'll receive and tell people you slaved over the salad for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment