Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chicken with Vegetables and Gravy

This is an easy go-to when you can't think of anything else to make, so I figured it belonged on this blog! There are a thousand variations of this that I'm sure we've all eaten or made at some point in our lives, so feel free to modify as you see fit. This is from Taste of Home magazine.

Ingredients (for approximately two servings)

  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (condensed)
  • 2/3 c. water
  • 1/4 c. white wine or chicken broth

Directions:

  1. Place the carrots, celery and onion in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker; top with chicken. Sprinkle with pepper.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the soup, water and wine; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
  3. If desired, thicken cooking juices with flour or corn starch.
  4. Serve over noodles, potatoes, biscuits...whatever
I'm not usually planning ahead enough to do this in the slow cooker. I just chop up the raw chicken so that it cooks faster, and simmer it all on the stove until it's done. Also, since we have been trying to limit our carb intake (no potatoes or pasta--boo!), I served it over cauliflower mashed potatoes (well, mashed cauliflower, I suppose).

No comments:

Post a Comment