From Rochelle Bilow
1 quart heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
1 tablespoon wildflower honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 quart heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
1 tablespoon wildflower honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Heat the cream to 60 to 65 degrees -- check the temperature using a candy thermometer. Pour the cream into a food processor, not more than halfway up the basin. (For reference, I own a 12-cup capacity processor, and it fit perfectly. If yours is smaller, whip the cream in multiple batches.)
Turn on the food processor and let it run until the cream has over-whipped. The liquid will have separated from the milk solids.
Set a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and strain out the liquid, catching the butter in the sieve. Save the liquid -- this is buttermilk -- for another use. Place the butter back in the food processor and add 1 cup of water. Turn on the food processor for 30 seconds, then strain out the water in the same manner as before (make sure you've transferred your buttermilk to a different container; you don't want to add water to it.) Repeat the "rinsing" process 1 to 2 more times, until the water runs clear.
After you've strained the butter for the last time, use clean hands to squeeze out any excess liquid, kneading it gently.
*I (Scott) just found this recipe on syracuse.com, we haven't tried it yet, but it sounds too good not to share. I'm sure Martina already knows plenty about making her own butter, but for the rest of us, a little help never hurts.
I love this site by the way, Stephanie is always pulling stuff off of it for dinner, keep up the great sharing!! And share more often! I'm hungry!
*I (Scott) just found this recipe on syracuse.com, we haven't tried it yet, but it sounds too good not to share. I'm sure Martina already knows plenty about making her own butter, but for the rest of us, a little help never hurts.
I love this site by the way, Stephanie is always pulling stuff off of it for dinner, keep up the great sharing!! And share more often! I'm hungry!
YUM!!! I love homemade condiments :)
ReplyDelete