![]() |
| Ours actually looked just like this! |
Ingredients:
2 c. (one 15 oz. can) black beans, red beans or chickpeas, drained (we used black beans)
1 medium onion, quartered (we left this out)
1/2 c. rolled oats
1 T chili powder
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 egg
1 T olive oil
How to make:
1. Place beans, onion, oats, chili powder, s & p, and egg in food processor and pulse until chunky but not pureed; if it seems dry or isn't sticking together, add a little water/stock a tablespoon at a time - you want a moist, but not wet mixture. Let rest in the fridge for a few minutes.
2. With wet hands, shape into patties; refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add the patties and cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes (I'd say less - the first side burned when I left it for 5 minutes!); turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned, about another 5 minutes. Serve on buns with the usual burger fixings.
A few notes:
-other possibilities the magazine suggests is to add 1/2 c. cooked potato or sweet potato into the bean mixture before you process it and/or exchanging 1 t. of cumin for the chili powder.
-ketchup was not a sufficient topping for these burgers. I'd recommend something like a mayo-based spread (I've had a really great mango mayonnaise topping on bean burgers before!)
-Scott put cheese on his and even said at the end of the meal, "If beans really are that much cheaper than meat, I'd say they're a sufficient substitute for a burger." Not a rave review, but WAY more than I expected coming from a man who loves a good hamburger!
-I have NO idea why this is called "The Ultimate Veggie Burger" because there are absolutely NO vegetables in it if you make it as the recipe is written...

Hippies.
ReplyDelete:)